Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Day 3: Introduction to the Hospital

Ni Zanoori!
(Good evening! in Mampruli)

Today Albert and I started in the hospital. It was a challenging first day because the degree of disease is so severe here and even though we were sort of expecting it, it was tough to see first-hand little children suffering from horrible malnutrition and malaria. Albert also went to surgery today, he helped deliver a stillborn 6-month-old (gestational age) baby :-( and did an exploratory surgery to find and repair a bowel perforation from Typhoid disease! Albert worked very hard today and I was glad to see him this evening, since I left early with an upset stomach (which is now feeling better.) I look forward to starting clinic tomorrow. (Clinic days = M, W, F; surgery days=T, Th)



This is a picture of me in my bed with mosquito netting around it to protect me from the malaria-ridden mosquitos around here.

Blessings and good night, Friends!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amara, you look like you're ready for the princess doctor fairytale :-) We're praying for you both here in MD. Thanks for the updates!

Anonymous said...

So far it sounds like you guys are in for quite the adventure. Should be a learning experience. You guys are always in my prayers.

Love ya both.

Anonymous said...

You write very well.